Saturday 30 January 2016

Curate, Collaborate, and the Common Cold

Hello all,

This week in ADED 1P32, various web curation tools were explored. I found Diigo to be particularly useful because not only does it allow you to bookmark pages to go back to in the future, it also allows for annotation and highlighting of webpages. To familiarize myself with Diigo, I began by doing a search of pre-operative clinic assessments for my health quality improvement project. I hope to share this tool with the rest of my team so that we can collaborate when working on our literature review by annotating the articles and highlighting the key points from each. This way, everyone can get a general overview about the articles and not have to worry about spending countless hours reading through information that may not be relevant to our topic.

I think that Diigo will also be useful when studying for an infection control class that I am currently enrolled in. Each week, we are required to read a pre-selected article pertaining to infection control and safety topics. I uploaded this week's article to Diigo and was able to highlight the key points that show up in a list in the "My Library" section underneath the article title. I found this to be very beneficial because each week, we are quizzed on these articles. Being able to highlight and review a list of key points will save time while studying as I can review the list made, rather than re-reading the full article repeatedly. I will be adding this to the aggregate category of my PLE as it is a great way to collect information and store it in one spot for future reference.

Another curation tool that I discovered this week was Flipboard. It reminds me of Pinterest, but instead, is more specific and revolves around finding articles and recent news updates related to various topics. I enjoy the fact that my cover stories are tailored to my interests and it is convenient to be able to save specific articles by "flipping" them into your own digital magazine. This tool also fits well under the aggregate section of my PLE. I can see it being beneficial in the future for sharing common interests, or for sharing information regarding project topics and also to know why people "flipped" certain stories into the magazine (Flipboard provides a section when flipping to leave a comment so that others know why it was saved).

As a student, I often (actually, more like always) find myself spending far more time studying and completing school work than sleeping. Due to the fact that it is cold and flu season (and also midterm season), it seemed fitting to read an article in my Feedly reader that described the link between sleep and colds. One of the most interesting facts was that those who sleep less than 7 hours were 3 times more likely to catch a cold after exposure compared to those who sleep 8 hours or more. I tend to have good time management skills, so hopefully between that and relying on hand sanitizer, echinacea, and vitamin C, I can stay healthy enough to ace all of my exams!

Until next week,

Megan



7 comments:

  1. Hi Megan, I loved reading your post this week.
    I have also found diigo really useful when finding articles that you have to read for your classes or use for assignments. Since there is a tagging option , it would be really helpful since you can just insert key words and search to articles that relate to the topic you are researching. I definitely wish i knew about this digital learning tool before, it wouldve saved me some time while looking for articles to use as references for my assignments. Thanks for sharing your reflection , i hope to read more from you soon!

    Take care,

    Rexella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan,

    I also found Diigo useful for a similar educational purpose! I am taking a classics course and each week I have to answer questions for a different reading. I often find summary articles online to make their style of writing more relatable. Now I use Diigo to highlight while I read through on my iPad, and later when I am working on my laptop answering questions I can go back to the site and work off my highlights!

    Do you think you will continue using Diigo (or any online tools we discover in ADED 1P32) after this course, and your infection control class?

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For now, I see Diigo being most beneficial for academic purposes and would probably continue using it as long as I am in school or doing research. Some tools are definitely more useful and support a wider range of functions than others (such as google drive and Pinterest).

      Delete
  3. Hey Megan,

    I also find Diigo very beneficial for academic purposes. As i mentioned in my blog, It is great projects as well where if you highlight something in an article you can go back to it. Especially courses where you are required to do readings and those come on midterms, finals and assignments, it comes in very handy.

    Thanks for sharing,

    -Anusha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Megan, similar to the other comments I found Diigo to be beneficial for school. Most of the readings I have to do for school are articles- so Diigo is helpful because I am able to highlight and sticky note important things! In addition I think it is really interesting how you explored the digial tool by using it for other course work. I think that is a very good idea- I think it would create a bit more motivation to use the tool and actually shows you how you can use it for other learning purposes, other than this one course. I definitely will do that in the future when exploring digital tools.

    McKenzie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi megan!! I also liked using diigo due to its easy to use features and the quickness bookmarks. Im glad that you think diggo will be useful for you to use in other classes as it is such a useful tool!! I hope I can do that also. I also like how diigo comes with features that help you highlight and sort, this makes it easier to use and organize.

    Interesting post!!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi megan!! I also liked using diigo due to its easy to use features and the quickness bookmarks. Im glad that you think diggo will be useful for you to use in other classes as it is such a useful tool!! I hope I can do that also. I also like how diigo comes with features that help you highlight and sort, this makes it easier to use and organize.

    Interesting post!!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete