Saturday 16 January 2016

Week 2 Report and Reflection- PLE


Hi readers,

This week in ADED 1P32, I created a PLE (personal learning environment). After doing some reading, I found that a paper by Graham Attwell simply defined a PLE as different tools that we use in our everyday life for learning. This definition got me thinking about the various tools that I currently use in my day to day life.


When given the task to create a PLE, I found it necessary to read all of the background resources provided and took some time to reflect on my learning experiences. I realized that a PLE is more than just listing the tools that you use for learning; it is also a way to evaluate how the tools enhance your learning and can help you determine what you can add to your PLE in order to be more successful in the future. The questions throughout the prezi by Andre Malan helped to guide my reflection and allowed me to analyze my goals, who I am now, who I want to become in the future and how my current learning environment can help me to achieve these goals.


This is the first time I actually sat down for a long while and wrote out all of the things I hope to become in the future. Having never done this before, my list (or should I say pages) of notes provided me with some clarity and was an overwhelmingly positive experience to be able to critically assess my goals and to have an idea of what I will need to reach my future goals.


To summarize my notes from this personal reflection process, I found that currently, I am very career driven and still in the discovery phase of what it is that I wish to pursue in the future. I know that I want to pursue a career in healthcare, but still need to determine what I am truly passionate about so that I can narrow down the options to something that I will thoroughly enjoy. 


After describing my future self, I noticed that the description expanded from being more career focused, to a more well rounded "lifestyle" focus. I think that this is due to the assumption that in the future, I will have chosen the ideal career, thus allowing me to move on to experience the many other aspects of life, such as marriage, travelling, and applying my career experiences to better the lives of others around the world. 

In order to achieve my goals, I noted that having hands on experience through internships will be necessary, as well as being more fluent with online communication to convey scientific and medical messages. I realized that in order for me to achieve my goals, I need to be in an environment that supports lifelong learning, as the medical field is an ever changing world. I work best in an environment that is free of negativity, and that contains peers and a support system for me to share my ideas with. I realized that I need to have more faith in myself and to give myself more credit for the things that I do.

As per my last blog post, I am a medical sciences student and I also work for Brock University in the Student Life and Community Experience department. In creating my PLE, I found that many of the tools listed were the ones which have helped me with both my studies and my job. I am a student coordinator for the honour societies on campus, so I tend to use various organizational tools to schedule meetings, such as Doodle and Outlook calendar.


Collaboration is important in the Student Life department, and also for completing group assignments. Brock's online involvement portal called ExperienceBU, allows many student groups to collaborate, share and collect information, and to stay informed. It is a tool that probably falls under almost all of the categories in my PLE.


Being a science student who writes several lab reports and complies literature to complete assignments, I often need to aggregate the references I find for ease of access later on (before I started using Refworks and Zotero, I was keeping roughly 20-30 tabs open on my laptop until I finished the assignment... definitely not an efficient process!)


I haven't had much experience working with the tools in the create category of my PLE. It was through my job that I discovered Canva, when I had marketing tasks to complete and needed a simple and quick way to design appealing posters needed to promote an event. I definitely look forward to discovering more tools to add to this section of my PLE.


The connect and share category contains several social media tools, as well as the newest addition being Blogger. I use the majority of these tools to communicate and share messages with family and friends. I also find that in terms of learning, it is becoming more common to use social media such as Facebook to connect with group members for assignments. Apple Mail on my laptop enables me to check all of my email accounts to stay updated with what is going on at school, at work, and in my personal life.

Brown, M. (CC) 2016.

The word cloud I created helped to visually highlight the key words relating to what ADED 1P32 is all about. It is a good reminder of the key concepts that will contribute to my learning in the future.



Brown, M. (CC) 2016.
This week has been very positive and has left me excited to further this reflection process to shape my learning, such that it has the utmost positive influence on my future.

Until next week!

Megan

5 comments:

  1. It is funny that you mentioned Doodle, because I just had the opportunity to create a poll using Doodle last week. I am definitely going to be adding that to my PLE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan! Great Profile :) Im also in some medical science courses. I just wanted to mention that there is this site for all medical science fields, mostly in video which help me because I'm a visual learner. They're mostly done in Michigan ( believe it or not huge school on science) but it complies any sort of interest you are in if you care beyond the world of the courses you are in! i always read through it. Heres the website if you are interested :)
    http://freevideolectures.com/Subject/Medicine
    Something to think about especially when some of those courses can get tricky I've had a lot of help from those videos believe it or not! Has anyone else heard of this website before? do you know any websites that are like this? Id love to know!
    Cheers, Naeda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naeda! Thanks for sharing those resources! I've used https://www.khanacademy.org/ for clarification with various assignments and lecture topics (especially the more challenging topics like organic chemistry, molecular biology and immunology). It is very visual and is a very good review, especially while studying.

      Delete
  3. Hey Megan,
    really liked your profile! Ive taken some medical science courses at Brock and loved them - I really should have majored in it. Just wanted to show you this website that gives you updating news on the medical world if you are interested. I love reading it especially since its not a 150 dollar textbook from the Brock campus store haha.
    http://www.medscape.com/medicalstudents
    Medical science is the best!
    Cheers,

    Naeda :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan

    I glanced over Doodle yet-again, and I have to say that this website is certainly growing on me!! Thank you for your intel, you have a very admirable PLE design.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete