Saturday 6 February 2016

Creating my PLN

Hello all!

This week in ADED 1P32, I enjoyed getting to use Twitter to expand my PLN. Twitter is a tool that I am already familiar with, and that I use both personally and for both my job. I decided to create a new account for ADED 1P32 so that I could establish an education/online learning theme for this microblog, as my other twitter account is less structured and has more of a leisurely focus. Feel free to follow my ADED 1P32 twitter @mbrownADED or my personal twitter @ohheyitsmegs.

The Youtube video called How To Build Your PLN (Professional Learning Network) guided me to start thinking ahead about what I have to offer to my PLN and what will I learn from it. Students in ADED 1P32 are all unique and have different passions, perspectives and ideas about learning that can be shared with others in their PLN. Simply put, a PLN is a way to share knowledge and learn from others.

I initially included Twitter in my PLE under the connect and share heading. This week, I became more familiar with the "lists" function of twitter and found it helpful in locating my classmates. Lists are helpful if categorized by theme (i.e. students in ADED 1P32, news accounts, etc). If you are looking to find specific updates when checking your twitter feed, you can save time by scrolling through a list rather than the entire feed with all of your followers' updates.

I am interested in using Twitter for this class as I have yet to be able to use a form of microblogging/social media for educational purposes. I think it is a great way to network with others and can really affect the way people perceive you in a digital context. Through this course, I have been able to share my learning experiences with new online tools, and at the same time, have applied them to my medical sciences courses. Thus far, I have learned that becoming a digital citizen is applicable to all degrees and fields of work, and that becoming fluent with various online tools can contribute to increased efficiency, organization, and collaboration in any field.

Each week, I share an interesting article from my Feedly reader. From this week onward, I will create a separate subheading in my blogs for articles to keep things more organized.



This Week's Feedly Reader Article: 

This week, I read an article from the Hospital Impact blog that discussed good health being a societal issue rather than a medical issue. The following quote from the article resonated with me and got me thinking about health quality improvement in terms of what can be done to address the social determinants of health at the primary care level: "It is time we look beyond the four walls of our institutions and see how we can partner with those who have already mastered things like housing and employment". I have learned a lot about varying perspectives of the definition of health, and that it is more than just the absence of disease. As a student studying medical science and healthcare systems, I have come to learn that there are many underlying causes of ill health that can contribute to a patient's symptoms. I feel that it is necessary for medicine to be a multidisciplinary field, not only comprised of healthcare professionals, but also including professionals in housing, employment, etc., as these are major contributors to the overall health of a patient.


Until next week,

Megan


No comments:

Post a Comment