Sunday 13 March 2016

VoiceThread, Digital Rights and Responsibilities

Hello all!

This week in ADED 1P32 we explored VoiceThread and shared our comments regarding the various questions related to Digital Rights and Responsibilities that were brought up in the presentation. Check out the VoiceThread page that I have added to my blog to see the presentation we engaged with! I thoroughly enjoyed this time to critically reflect on ethical questions related to the responsibilities of a digital citizen. 

I think that VoiceThread is more beneficial for instructors or those who are sharing a presentation with a group of people. It seemed like a form of an online lecture. I will add this to my PLE under the create section if I find myself using it to create presentations for different clubs and classes that I may be required to present in. I find that it would probably be more beneficial for someone giving a lecture or presentation for an online class or if the presenter was not able to physically attend the event as voice recording can be attached to the slides. 

VoiceThread allows various users to collaborate on the presentation via voice comments, video or text written comments. Therefore, this could contribute to one's PLN as users can learn from each other through the comments made on the slides. This is definitely a different form of learning, as I am used to raising a hand to share comments or ask questions in a lecture setting. It is interesting to see how this style of learning can manifest in an online format through tools such as VoiceThread. 

The past few weeks have focused on Digital Rights & Responsibilities. I think that these 2 concepts are very important to keep in mind when discussing digital citizenship. Although one may be fluent with online tools and technology, it is important to remember that just like we have to follow rules and regulations in society, there are also rules and regulations to follow online and in the technological world. I think that people often take for granted the fact that technology is so readily accessible and therefore makes it easy to communicate behind an avatar or behind a screen. My rule of thumb is, if I wouldn't say it to someone face to face, I shouldn't say it online!

This Week's Feedly Reader Article

This week, I came across a very interesting article in the New York Times Well Blog regarding digital identity and children. I found this article to be very fitting with the course topic of Digital Rights and Responsibilities. In their discussion of how parents are sharing several moments of their children's lives, it made me think about how young kids, especially babies, are more than likely unaware of their rights as a digital citizen. In this day in age, it seems as though one's digital footprint is being established at birth, even before the child is able to use technology. 

Until next time,

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment