Sunday 6 March 2016

The Wonderful World Of Wikis

Hello readers,

This week in ADED 1P32, we explored the world of Wikis and reflected on digital rights and responsibilities. 

I was not very familiar with the editing capabilities of a wiki before I read about them on How Stuff Works. I think that wikis are a useful tool that support learning as they allow users to share their knowledge about various topics. In this regard, wikis are a great way to learn from one another and to collaborate with an unlimited number of different people. This collaboration allows for unique or new information to be shared, and in turn, can enrich one's knowledge and increase their ability to gather information about a given topic. 

From my personal experience exploring Wikis, I found that the hyperlinks to journals are a great way to find peer reviewed information. Wikis are a great place to start when looking for general overviews of more complex topics. The fact that anyone can edit a wiki (such as Wikipedia), has its benefits and drawbacks. Although it is a great way to learn from others, due to the aforementioned statement, it is important to have peer reviewed references that support what was said, to ensure that the source was credible. 

In comparing Wikis with Google Docs, I foresee Google Docs being of greater use for me, personally. Due to the nature of the work that I complete throughout my courses, it is beneficial to be able to see the information that is being shared synchronously via a google doc. I find that it is also more beneficial to have a suite where documents can be saved and edited in file formats, whereas a wiki tends to encompass several links to different pages, all accessible via a single webpage. In terms of the comparison between Wikis and Google Docs, I found this table to be very helpful in distinguishing between the two and to pinpoint the key pros and cons of each. 

In my exploration of digital rights and responsibilities, I noted that citing resources, being respectful of other users, and privacy were my top 3 choices in this category. The diagram below is a mind map that briefly outlines each right and responsibility that digital citizens should have a general understanding of. 
Brown, M. (CC) 2016

This Week's Feedly Reader Article

This week, I added a few new blogs to my Feedly reader that pertain more to digital citizenship. Since we have been studying collaboration tools, I decided to share this link that talks about OneDrive. It gives a general overview of OneDrive, which is very similar to Google Drive, but more specific to Microsoft devices. It is cloud based storage that allows for file sharing and collaboration.

Until next week,

Megan 

No comments:

Post a Comment